The Kahuna SM-9000 is challenging the Luraco i7 Plus and Human Touch Super Novo for the title of Best Massage Chair. But does it measure up?
My Luraco has seen me through days of immense stress. Imagine my excitement when I heard about the Kahuna and its advanced special features. I was extremely excited to try out the 3D massage mode that guarantees an ultimate massage experience.
So, would I choose it over my Luraco or the Human Touch?
Short Answer: NO.
Don’t get me wrong; it’s a decent chair. But that’s just it. It’s only decent. It doesn’t wow me as much as the Luraco or Human Touch.
I’ve heard clients rave about their new Kahuna at home. Guess how fast they made the switch when I introduced them to my Luraco? Or recommended that they try the Human Touch? Within a snap.
The Kahuna is a decent chair in all sense of the word. It delivers great results and effectively performs its basic functions. You could also argue that it’s cheaper than the Human Touch Super Novo.
If you’re worried about your finances, opt for the Luraco. The Luraco represents a luxury massage chair line at the same price as the Kahuna SM 9000, and yet, it’s a better massage chair, both in features and in function.
I understand you might be seduced by the price. But if you’re truly looking for a massage chair that’s worth your money, I stand by the Luraco. Here’s why:
About Kahuna Company
Kahuna Chairs are manufactured by AJX Inc. overseas. The California-based company prides itself on providing excellent after-sales service. You’ll also appreciate this company if you’re a fan of consistent technological advancements.
This BBB Accredited company also offers an impressive white-glove service that prioritizes your convenience. This means you won’t worry about installation and clean up; the company handles it for you. After all, you bought the massage chair to relax, right?
What I appreciate most about AJX Inc. is that they have a variety of massage options for all kinds of users. Additionally, they also consistently put out well-built chairs at various price points.
I’ll have to say that I have no qualms with the company that manufactures the Kahuna. They’re a reliable company that consistently puts out great products. You won’t go wrong with a Kahuna purchase if you ever do feel like it’s the unit that suits you more.
It’s very rare to find a company that delivers on their promises like AJX Inc. It also impresses me that the company keeps their chairs at a reasonable price without compromising on its quality or features like other companies.
Summary: Overall, the company that manufactures Kahuna Chairs is reliable. They provide excellent customer service. Additionally, they’re also very much on top of their product’s quality. Despite my love for the i7 Plus by Luraco, I cannot ignore the fact that this company knows their work.
About Kahuna SM 9000 / Pros & Cons
Despite my reservations, the Kahuna is a beautiful piece of technology. It offers a good feature set packed into this model. The company that manufactures the Kahuna is also very reputable, so that’s one less thing you have to worry about.
I’ve listed a few of the Kahuna’s benefits and drawbacks below to provide you with a thorough comparison.
Summary: The Kahuna SM-9000 certainly has some great features for its affordable price. However, there is plenty of room to improve. If you’re not particularly tech-savvy, you might need a lot of help trying to figure out how the chair works. Luckily, AJX Inc offers great customer service so you shouldn’t be too concerned when trying to look for help.
Voltage: 110V – 120V
Energy Consumption: Max. 230W
Dimensions: 246.92 pounds
Kahuna 9000 Full-Body Chair – Notable Features
I am impressed by the Kahuna simply because AJX Inc. has taken the liberty of making sure that this chair is researched and developed in the USA. That’s something even the Luraco or Human Touch can’t boast about.
It’s also a well-built massage chair. You won’t find yourself nervous about an odd squeak here and there thanks to its premium craftsmanship. On that note, it’s also the quietest chair in the market.
Squeaky rollers or an annoying screech from the reclining mechanism at any point won’t bother you. If you do hear or experience something unsavory, you can lean back and relax, knowing that you’re covered by a 5-Year warranty.
Furthermore, Superior 9000 also makes you feel like the chair is hugging you. Its chair depth is amazing, to say the least, coupled with its durable and comfortable padding.
I also applaud the company for adding in 8 different massage settings. You can choose between 8 to 20-minute massages with different applied styles and techniques.
If you enjoy listening to music while relaxing, or like listening to relaxing nature sounds, you’ll enjoy the built-in Bluetooth connectivity on the Kahuna 9000. Eliminate the need for extra wires or sound systems thanks to its fitted speakers.
Below are some of its other features:
- SL Massage Track – it combines S and L-Track technology, so you know you’re targeting all the areas from your neck down to your glutes.
- Air Float 3D+ Technology – its 3D+ technology is a great addition, especially when you compare it to units at the same price point. The chair also features multi LED Lights.
- Space Saving & Zero Gravity – you won’t have to worry about this unit eating up much of your space. It needs very little wall clearance to effectively give you a true zero-gravity experience.
- Arm Acupressure – Most units miss the mark with its acupressure functions. Luckily, the Kahuna does not. Its air cells perform a thorough acupressure therapy that leaves you well-relaxed and tension-free. Your arms will feel stress-free and stronger than ever after each session.
- One-Touch Zero Gravity – Unlike other units, the Kahuna features an easy to operate one-touch feature. You can activate zero-gravity positioning with a touch of your finger.
- Body Scan Technology – Its advanced body scan technology scans your body prior to your sessions. This allows the unit to adjust its rollers to effectively target your shoulders, neck, and follow the curvature of your spine. This also means that you won’t have to adjust yourself just to fit the unit.
- Heat Therapy – Heat effectively aids in blood circulation. Consequently, improved blood circulation also presents you with a host of other benefits. Additionally, you’ll also feel better rested, and you’ll experience quick pain relief with the heat therapy feature on this unit.
- Air Massage Technology – The Air Cell technology in this unit effectively gives you a thorough acupressure session. You won’t miss a single pressure point thanks to its strategically placed hardware.
- Bluetooth Music Sync Technology – If you love to listen to music or therapeutic sounds while having a relaxing massage, the handy fitted speakers are a great feature. Their chairs also boast Bluetooth connectivity, which means you don’t need a wire to play music.
- Exchangeable Zipper Covering – Massage chairs are not always easy to clean. Leather covers are also sometimes very uncomfortable. You’ll enjoy the easy to change covering secured by a zipper for quick cleaning and more comfortable experience.
Summary: The Kahuna SM-9000 is a great choice for its price. You’ll enjoy a host of great benefits and features. If you feel like the Luraco is an ideal choice for you, this chair comes at a close second.
Massage Techniques, Styles, Intensity & Speed
Kahuna SM 9000 offers 8 different massage modes. If you’re hoping to get an in-depth massage, you should veer away from setting it manually. One of its biggest drawbacks is that the remote control does not allow you to do much.
I enjoyed the infrared rollers immensely. If you’re like me and you love to switch between a heated massage and a cold massage, you can easily do so with a touch of your hand.
The massage rollers also target specific areas effectively. You’ll feel the effects of increased circulation and lessened fatigue immediately after each session.
There’s also no need to worry about the intensity levels. I understand that different users will prefer different levels of intensity.
I personally tend to look for a gentle massage when I’m trying to relax but veer toward an intense, muscle-stretching session after an extremely tiring day.
The Kahuna features three intensity levels/speed levels that vary from a gentle massage to a full-on acupressure session. It’s a reasonable enough selection that I can’t complain. I’m sure you’ll find it useful as well.
Price, Warranty & Service
If you’re comparing prices, this chair is cheaper than the i7 Plus and Super Novo on Amazon. However, the i7 and Novo excel in areas that this massage recliner doesn’t. I won’t get into those details, but overall, this is a decently priced item for the quality.
As for the warranty, the company covers everything for a period of 5 years except for wear and tear and any shipping issues. So unless you have a problem with the way it was handled during shipping, you should be able to use the chair without any problems.
The Kahuna is also produced by a great company. Despite it being manufactured overseas, it is still a pretty well-built product. Moreover, it’s also certified by the Better Business Bureau, so you know they offer excellent after-sales service.
One of the things that annoy me with buying bulkier tech is that it’s often difficult to install. It also leaves a huge mess afterward. Unless I’m buying something that I expect to cause me stress, I will hope buying a kahuna massage chair would give me more of a relaxing experience.
Luckily, Kahuna Chairs are backed with excellent white-glove service. The company handles installing the unit in any room of your choice. They also clean up afterward, so all you need to do is relax and enjoy your new recliner!
Final Words / The Takeaways
The Kahuna SM-9000 is a great chair for its price. It offers a lot of different benefits and explores the needs of different users. However, I feel like it’s a very standard recliner. It offers the basic necessities and performs them well while others perform the same functions exceptionally.
Take, for example, the Luraco. It features one of the most advanced remote controls you’ll find in massage chairs. The controls are easy to understand and allow you to fully customize your massage experience.
This feature is somehow lost on the Kahuna. Its abysmal control system does not allow you to tap into more intense settings in manual mode, so you’re forced to stick with the preset massage modes.
Additionally, if you’re truly tech-savvy, you will only get to enjoy its fitted speakers. Other models like the Super Novo also connect with Alexa to offer you a more in-depth hands-free experience.
Summary: The Kahuna is a good chair. However, for the price-point, I’d say that the Luraco is still the better choice. There’s not much of a price difference if you’re worried about your finances. On the other hand, if you have more money to spend, the Super Novo is one of the most seductive massage chairs on the market if you want a more high-tech experience.