The OHCO M.8 is an ideal chair for car enthusiasts. If you follow circuit racing closely, you’re probably familiar with the designer of this chair: Ken Okuyama.
This Ferrari designer worked closely with Shiatsu Master Okabayashi Sensei to pop out this stunning shiatsu massage recliner.
But is it better than the Luraco i7 Plus? I’m afraid not. Compared to the Luraco, it feels like a novelty item. It has great features. However, it’s more of a “collectible” sort of massage chair than a therapeutic one, especially because of its price.
Here’s a quick summary:
The M.8 costs around as much as a secondhand car would. So unless you’re ready to shell out the big bucks, you’d best invest in the Luraco i7 Plus.
However, if you’re financially ready to make this commitment, the M.8 is easily one of the best and most advanced chairs on the market.
Keep reading to learn more about it:
About OHCO Massage Chair Company
OHCO consistently releases luxury Japan-made massage chairs. One of my favorite things about this company is that they’re committed to innovation and excellence in every chair.
Despite the high price point, you’ll still find yourself smitten with the beautiful one of kind designs and innovative features.
The company is also well-known for releasing carefully designed ergonomic shiatsu massage chairs. They’re generally regarded as “perfectors” of the full-body shiatsu massage chair craft and it shows in their products.
OHCO M.8 Review (Features)
The OHCO M.8 is a rebranded effort from the previous Dreamwave M.8 and M.8 Limited Edition. This chair was co-designed by Ferrari designer Ken Okuyama and Okabayashi sensei.
That aside, this chair is meant to stand out. Its massive size and heavy weight coupled with the gorgeous design guarantees that it will be the center of attention.
Nonetheless, the chair itself boasts plenty of therapeutic features. Some of them, you’ve never seen before in a massage chair. Take a look at them below:
4D Deltawave Massage – the M.8 features a Deltawave 4D engine. This engine mimics the feel of human hands through advanced algorithms. That means you’ll enjoy feeling like a professional masseuse is tucked away into your chair.
- The specialized engine executes basic massage techniques like kneading, tapping, rolling, and combination massage.
- Its programming allows it to precise switch between fast movements and the unique UltraSlow speed.
- The motor is designed to execute rapid acceleration and deceleration to successfully mimic the feel of human hands.
Maxtrack Massage Technology – Unlike other massage chairs that utilize S and L-Track technology, it uses its own unique Maxtrack technology. This massage track is designed to be in perfect sync with the Deltawave mechanism.
- This uniquely shaped massage track technology allows a more accurate massage that follows your Body’s movement in any position.
- You can effortlessly transition from one massage position to another with this uniquely-shaped massage track unique to OHCO.
Unique Entry and Exit Side Doors – True to form, Ken Okuyama tapped into his Ferrari design arsenal to add in easy entry and exit side doors. This design has never been seen in the market and could either start a trend or be the sole champion.
- The entry and exit doors allow you to move in and out of your OHCO M.8 in style. A special release button and pull handle allow you to open or close the doors as needed.
- Despite the beautiful design, one has to wonder if it’s really necessary. It’s one of the things that feel more like a novelty feature. After all, isn’t it easier to move in and out of your chair without the doors?
Manufactured in Japan – There’s been a recent rise in demand for Japan-made massage recliners. It’s easy to see why. Japanese technology and innovation have brought forth so many great features. Unfortunately, there’s also a growing trend of companies claiming to produce Japan-made chairs when they’re really made in China.
- The OHCO M.8 is manufactured in Japan and designed by top Japanese specialists in their field. It carries the holistic Japanese style and age-old elegance only Japanese technology brings forth.
Unique Ergonomic Design – This massage recliner is designed by top Ferrari designer Ken Okuyama. He has successfully created a perfect blend of comfort, function, aesthetics, and precise design.
Professionally Designed Shiatsu Program – Shiatsu master Okabayashi Sensei spearheaded the design for the M.8’s Shiatsu program. Okabayashi professionally consulted a team of designers and engineers to orchestrate the perfect technique for releasing built-up tension and facilitating overall wellness.
Specialized Headrest – The specialized headrest features a knead and stretch program that gently releases tension in your neck. You’ll enjoy the gentle air cell massage that stretches your neck and relieves pressure from your cervical spine. Mechanical rollers will then proceed to knead your neck.
- This massage technique facilitates blood circulation to your entire body but is especially beneficial to your neck area. It will help aid in your neck mobility and alleviate pain caused by tension.
Calf Kneading Feature – Shiatsu master Okabayashi sensei designed the elliptical calf massage on this massage recliner. It melts away your tension and releases pressure on your calves through a series of kneading and compression movements.
- This technique effectively revitalizes and enhances your blood circulation. This effectively removes any strain collected during the day and essentially restarts your muscles.
Full Body Heat Therapy – You’ll enjoy the infrared heaters located on the rollers themselves for an effective therapeutic session.
Heat therapy not only encourages your muscles to relax but also facilitates blood flow and muscle recovery.
- You’ll appreciate the zone-specific heat therapy adjustments. This means you’ll be allowed to control each heating panel exclusively as you like.
Air Ionizer and Aromatherapy – You’ll enjoy a thoroughly clean and healthy experience on your massage chair as the air ionizer rids your surroundings of pollutants. This includes dust, spores, pollen, dander, and most irritants.
- Additionally, the headrest features a diffuser on the headrest alongside the ionizer. You can add a few drops of essential oils to the diffuser to make your massage experience more immersive and relaxing.
White Noise – A small fan located on the headrest efficiently blows ionizer air while generating a quiet and relaxing background noise. You’ll enjoy the relaxing monotone sound of the fan as it blows ionizer air out while you settle into your chair.
Multiple Recline Positions – the M.8 features a nearly infinite number of reclining positions. You can adjust it completely to fit any of your needs and to achieve maximum comfort. These multiple recline features are unique to the OHCO M.8 massage chair. Some of the recline positions are:
- Zero Gravity
- Lay Flat
Foot Reflexology – Your feet are one of the most tired parts of your body. They carry most of your weight throughout the day and support you in any activity you do. Because of this, you’ll enjoy the reflexology rollers designed to release tension from your feet.
- The 2-way foot roller soothes the soles of your feet gently. Additionally, if you need an extra rigorous foot massage, the M.8 comes with detachable Shiatsu pads for your heel.
- This unit also comes with buffer pads for your feet when needed.
Full-Body Air Massage – You’ll enjoy the stretching and compressing motion of the multiple air cells located throughout this model.
- This technique is ideal if you want to relieve sore muscles and veer away from too-intense massages.
- Each air cell can be individually controlled to provide you with a truly custom-tailored experience.
14 Automatic Massage Programs – These preset programs are designed to give you multiple choices. They’re also a great starting point if you’re unsure about what kind of massage to get. Take a closer look at some of those programs below:
- Quick – this is an ideal choice if you’re looking for a quick program that will essentially refresh your Body. This features the chair’s most basic capabilities and includes strategized heat, roller, air massage, and leg and foot techniques.
- Full Body – if you’re feeling a little stiff, this massage program facilitates blood circulation to your back, which increases your mobility. This body shiatsu program is designed to invigorate your mind and revitalize your body.
- DreamWave – this massage program is unique to OHCO chairs. It utilizes figure eight-like motions that target your hips and thighs. It balances your Body and effectively relaxes your mind. Its main goal is in line with its namesake: the ultimate massage of your dreams.
- Stress Relief – this features a combination technique that features slow, deliberate, yet graceful movements that are designed to provide you with a hypnotic and relaxing massage.
- Unwind – this massage is best for—you guessed it, unwinding. It applies repetitive movements that allow your brain to release daily stress without anticipating a change in movement.
- Stretch – Stretching is one of the most beneficial techniques that release tension from your body while mobilizing it. This will affect your spine positively as well as bring your entire body into perfect alignment.
- Morning – this massage feature is ideal for lazy mornings. It is even more so beneficial if you haven’t had a good night’s sleep. It effectively revitalizes your mind and body while energizing you for a productive day ahead.
- Night – just as the Morning program revitalizes your mind, this feature prepares you for the best sleep of your life. This slow, patterned massage alleviates anxiety and stress and encourages your Body to slumber.
- Other massage programs include :
- Full body air massage
- Sports Recovery
- Neck and Shoulders
- Low Back
- Feet and Calves
Summary: Overall, the OHCO M.8 presents multiple great features. Some of them are entirely unique to OHCO—which I highly appreciate. There is also a great deal of functions and programs to keep you satisfied. You’ll love the stunning and ergonomic design of the chair, but you’ll also enjoy its more practical uses like the high-quality Shiatsu massage and multiple reclining functions. It is on the pricier side, but if you enjoy novelty collectibles, this massage chair is perfect for you.
OHCO M.8 Elite Specifications
Roller Type: 4D
Roller Length: 49 inches
Track Type: L-Track/Maxtrack
Automatic Programs: 14 Auto Programs
Memory Setting: NO
Hideaway Ottoman: NO
Upholstery: Synthetic Leather
Upright Dimensions: 60 inches x 36 inches x 49 inches
Recline Dimensions: 77 inches x 36 inches x 36 inches
Height Capacity: 6 feet 4 inches
Maximum Weight Capacity: 265 lbs
Chair Weight: 364 lbs
Freight Weight: 430 lbs
Roller Width Adjustment: YES
Roller Glute Massage: YES
Roller Speed Adjustment: YES
Detachable Back Pad: YES
Body Scan-Tech: YES
Foot Massage Rollers: YES
Zero Gravity Recline: YES
Inversion Therapy Position: YES
Stretch Feature: YES
Deep Tissue Massage: YES
Manual Programming: YES
Partial or Spot Massage: YES
- Infrared heated rollers
- Upper Arms
Airbag Intensity Adjustment: YES
Ottoman Length Adjustment: Auto
Timer: 10 minutes to 30 minutes
MP3 Function: YES
Controls: Slim LCD-type Remote
Reliability and Warranty
OHCO offers two warranty options for interested customers. Each massage chair comes with the standard 3 Year Warranty, and you will have the option to purchase the extended 5 Year Warranty. Take a closer look at each of these warranties below:
Three-Year Limited Warranty
- The standard warranty covers the parts, labor, and structural framework defects for a period of up to three years. This covers in-home service.
Five-Year Extended Warranty
- This option can be purchased up to 30 days from your OHCO chair’s purchase. It extends your Three Year Warranty and covers Parts, Labor, and Structural Framework defects for 5 years.
The warranty is reasonable enough. The full warranty information can also be found here. As for reliability, that’s an entirely different matter.
If you’re trying to piece together why the Dreamwave chairs sound familiar, it’s because they’ve already been released before. The Dreamwave chairs were released by Inada originally.
- The brand changed its name after a legal dispute about the trademarked Dreamwave name. Basically, everything is the same, except for the brand name. What was once Inada is now OHCO.
- The company president states that the change was to accommodate the evolving identity of the Dreamwave massage recliners.
But is the Company Reliable?
One can only speculate that the OHCO rebrand is the fruit of the company’s efforts to separate themselves from negative reviews reaped during their time as the Inada Family.
Although not entirely unreliable, their customer support was mediocre, to say the least.
However, you can be sure that your chair will be delivered in great condition. Additionally, OHCO’s higher-end chairs are usually very functional.
The only problem is that due to its price, it’s not very price-worthy or reasonable.
You’ll enjoy the Free White Glove Delivery Service offered by OHCO. If you ask me, the white glove delivery service is rightfully included in its price. It’s simply something you should expect of such an expensive massage chair (especially considering its bulk).
Are the Side Doors Useful?
The car-door inspired side doors are unique to the M.8 and M.8 LE. Understandably, some users have raised concerns about its functionality.
I know I asked myself the same thing when I first heard about it.
After all, we’re used to simply removing ourselves from our massage chair any which way.
What most users tend to forget is that the M.8 is a significantly bulky chair.
The addition of traditional armrests would only serve to make it bulkier and harder to get out of.
- The side doors also function as your armrests. Fitted cushions on the inside allow you to put your arms into them. You’ll love this feature because it fully envelops your arms.
- It’s easier to enter and exit the chair from the side. Thanks to the door-car design, it’s easier to do so, and it looks better too.
So, yes. The car-doors are useful. They’re a bit confusing at first, but they grow on you.
Can I Use Massage Chair Everyday?
There are so many different human touch chairs nowadays that a lot of us are spoilt for choice. From massagers to foam rollers, there are so many options available. You may have a massage chair in your home already, but what if you want to use it every day? Is it really enough to justify the cost of a top-quality? Yes, it is. We know many people who still get stuck in a rut and go through the motions without using the right equipment, or even going outside the home. If you can get into the right frame of mind and find the right type of chair, you can use your every day for positive posture – it is that simple.
The main thing you need to consider is whether or not you need a dedicated, or just need something like a firm mattress for your back or hands to hold. According to customer service a good fitness equipment therapist always puts the client before the equipment. The therapist will explain what he or she expects of you and what can be expected of them and then take your measurements before you begin to work out.
Is OSIM Massage Chair Good?
If you’ve ever spent a good deal of time sitting down, whether at work or at home, you might be familiar with pain in your back. Maybe you’ve been told by a friend or another member of the family that a massage might be the best solution to alleviate this problem, but have thus far failed to see a quick and easy solution on your own.
This doesn’t need to be the case, though, and thankfully, there are some rather well-known massage chairs with the rear swing on the market. Most people are familiar with the iconic Boing chair, but there are many more to choose from that should make your experience all the more satisfying. However, when you’re after the best model, it’s important to consider what’s on offer when you go shopping. Do you want something easy to assemble or is a full-on custom design more to your liking? How comfortable do you need your chair to be?
Who Should Not Use a Massage Chair?
Why should I not use a massage chair? Your back will most likely be strained. You don’t know how to use it. You don’t have insurance coverage for massage. You are afraid it is not as good as a professional massage. You are not sure of what massage therapists do, and are concerned that a trained professional might make a mistake. A person will use a massage chair and not use a physical therapist. You feel you need to be drugged to feel better. You aren’t convinced that a physical therapist can help you and you don’t want them to prescribe a pill or do a physical therapy exercise. You can’t afford to pay for an oil-based massage and it seems cheaper to get a massage chair which is a complete waste of money.
Can You Overuse a Massage Chair?
Aside from your massage chair, using your vibrating back massager can be quite relaxing and leave your muscles very relaxed. However, this relaxation can be very dangerous if you overuse this tool. Overusing it can lead to a reduction in blood flow to the legs and feet, as your body becomes quite dependent on the blood flow to the lower extremities.
For this reason, you should use your massager moderately and to a sufficient degree each day. Too much of a good thing is also bad in terms of your circulation. If you do experience any excessive tingling, numbness, or pain in your feet and legs, that would suggest that your massage chair is overused, and you need to take a break from it.
Is 4D Massage Chair Better Than 3D?
So you’ve seen how a 4D massage chair (4DMC) works and you want to try it yourself. So what is a 4D Massage chair? Basically, it’s a high-quality massage chair that has the ability to add a new element to a massage session: the physical structure of the chair. The idea behind it, when you try it for the first time, is pretty cool. You lie down and get hit by a large version of an earthquake. Then the chair shakes a bit and you get compressed up and down which is kind of like that but more intense. As the chair runs through the model of the earth, your posture changes due to the gyroscopic movements of the chair.
However, this is not an experience that comes with any experience, it’s just an optical illusion. If you would just use a regular massage chair and are not limited by height, this optical illusion won’t affect you at all. But if you really want to experience a 4D Massage chair, then you should make the proper preparations to get the best experience. Some additional things to keep in mind before buying a 4D Massage chair.
Best Alternative To OCHO Massage Chair?
The OHCO M.8 is a true wonder of engineering. This Japan-made massage recliner offers high-tech and highly innovative features on top of a truly unique design.
It is a luxury unit, so it has more of a collectible and novelty feel to it, especially with the car-door design. You may be wondering what the car door design is for, or if it’s actually functional.
Yes, it is. The side entry doors double as your armrests and make it easier for you to move in and out of your chair.
Aside from its novelty, it’s also highly therapeutic. I dare say it’s one of the best luxury massage chairs in the market. It comes with multiple massage features unique to it like:
- Dreamwave Massage – this maximizes your relaxation. It’s a specially-designed massage technique unique to the OHCO M.8 and can’t be found anywhere else.
- Maxtrack Technology – unlike other massage chairs that feature the traditional S or L-track massage systems, this unit boasts a unique Maxtrack system that is highly flexible and conforms to your body during any position or massage program.
Nonetheless, OHCO does admit that its M.8 model is not for everyone. To begin with, it’s incredibly expensive. So if you’re looking for an alternative, the Luraco i7 Plus is as close as you can get to the OHCO M.8.
Like the M.8, the i7 Plus features great functions like zero-gravity positioning, deep tissue massage programs, airbag massage programs, foot massage, heat therapy, and Bluetooth connectivity.
Overall, the OHCO is as good as it gets. Its advanced 4D DreamWave Roller system, coupled with the Maxtrack and its other premium features, makes it incredibly therapeutic and a relatively price-worthy purchase.
However, if you’re hoping to save a little bit of money, Luraco i7 Plus comes at a close second. It lacks some of the OHCO’s unique features, but it’s still one of the best luxury chairs.